Saturday, June 12, 2010

I am getting a little behind.

I am sitting here in this AMAZING room in Bulgaria, trying to remember what I did in the last few days. There has just been so much that I have trouble keeping track of it all. So, I think the last post I had gone all around London, so that means that the next day we went to some of the museums around town, which was pretty cool . Bev and I saw an exibit on the exploration and life in the deepest part of the ocean. There was defenitely quite a bit to see in the VnA and the Natural History Museum. Then, the next day we traveled from London to Bucharest in Romania, where we were immedietly informed that the car company had up booked at the local private airport instead of the international airport that we pretty much had to go through. In the end we were given a nice new white VW Golf, which is pretty awesome. Go VW! We drove into the city where we met a very nice woman who was to be our guide for the evening.
We went to what was for me the greatest orchetra performance I have ever been to. It was held in the national theatre and was performed by the Romanian Philharmonic Orchestra along with some amazing soloists. The first half was a Piano Symphony by Bethoveen, which included a most amazing pianist who was beyond belief. After a quick break, I was back to the orchestra to perfom Orff's Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi with an amazing choir which sent chills down my spine. Good times. We went out and walked around the royal square of Romania, and had an amazing dinner before heading in for bed. This morning we set off out of Bucharest, with all of their crazy drivers who are actually quite appaling. We treveled through into Bulgaria, and had to ask directions thrice just to get to the border crossing, on the Danube. We made it through and after mant directions being asked ended up at two UNESCO sites and a Roman ruin. The first was a monestary in the cliffs, with frescoes painted directly onto the rock, ceiling and all. It was quite breathtaking. And then on our way to the rider carved into the rock, we stopped at a roman ruin, with outer wall and inner square completely intact from the base of the walls down. Last of all we made it to a UNESCO site that was a giant statue in a cliff, depicting a hunter riding a horse and hunting. Above it there was a fortress from the 12th(?) century. After seeing the tiny carving (8 feet high at the most) I decided to clim the 325+ stone steps up the cliff to the fortress. The journey was definitely as amazing as the destination. The steps were very old stone carved things, which near the top were almost 3 feet higher than the one before. At one point there was a little metal bridge that one has to cross to go across two points of the steps. At the top there was the entrance and two sides of the wall to a fortress and a few house foundations to explore. The walls went all the way out to the top of the cliff, on both sides, and it really made four secure sides. Before I went down I went in to a small partial clearing to look at a church foundation, but I stepped into the field and suddenly had about 50 bees fly out around me. I got out of there with just one bite which was red for a little while but no stings. I made it down after another twenty minutes of steps with a sheep cliff face off of one side and we set off for our hotel. We got into the city and spent the next hour trying to find the place (they really need more signs around here. There are very few that actually tell you what you need to know.) So we all finally made it to the hotel and found it to be fantastic. We are all in the most amazing of rooms, large, new and cushy. So now I believe theat I am going to bed, just after Star Trek finishes. You know that Kirk wins and the girl is heart broken but learns a lesson from it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment